|Episcopal Vicar for Clergy|
The Vicar for Clergy assists the Bishop in his ministry to the priests and deacons of the Diocese. In the Bishop’s name, he assists with clergy appointments and maintains regular contact with the priests and deacons of the Diocese. He works as the Bishop’s liaison for particular services to clergy, and remains readily available to both Bishop and clergy.
Particular Tasks include:
1. Preparation for regularly scheduled meetings of the Committee on Assignments (coordinate elections, assist with agenda items, proposed plans, visitation of priests considering/being considered for a change of assignment, and do necessary follow-up such as draft of appointment letters, calls, etc.).
2. With the Personnel Board (Committee on Assignments), review and make recommendations to the Bishop regarding personnel policies and assignments for priests.
3. As much as possible, remain aware of individual needs of priests and deacons (health matters, emergency coverage of parish, assistance with special care when needed, etc.) and assist Bishop with response, contact, and support.
4. Collaborate with the Director of Pastoral Planning regarding the clergy needs of parishes and institutions of the Diocese (especially regarding numbers of clergy available and how best to serve the parishes).
5. As liaison for particular services to priests and/or deacons:
6. Participate in scheduled Episcopal Council meetings.
7. Work with the NYS Catholic Conference in the appointment of chaplains for the correctional facilities and mental health facilities in the Diocese (after endorsement by Bishop).
8. As the Director of Permanent Deacons, coordinate with the Director of Deacon Formation and with the president of the deacons’ St. Lawrence Society in organizing retreat and formation experiences for the deacon/candidate community.9. Coordinate with the Diocesan Victim’s Assistance Coordinator in cases of abuse or alleged abuse involving clergy and assist the Safe Environment Coordinator with Charter reports, maintaining files, etc.