NYSCC Top 10 Reasons to Oppose NYS's Reproductive Health Act (RHA)
10. It moves New York State in the opposite direction of “safe, legal and rare.”
9. It would undermine maternity and prenatal care programs, which could be ruled “discriminatory” for favoring childbirth over abortion.
8. It could be used to mandate abortion coverage in all insurance plans.
7. It could compel Catholic Charities and Catholic schools to counsel and refer for abortion.
6. It could compel all hospitals, even Catholic hospitals, to allow abortions on premises.
5. It lifts the current age restriction on the purchase of the so-called “morning-after pill” at neighborhood drug stores, allowing girls as young as 11 and 12 to get the drugs without a doctor’s prescription or a parent’s knowledge.
4. It makes abortion immune to common-sense prudent regulations: parental notification for minors’ abortions, restrictions on taxpayer funding, informed consent or a waiting period for pregnant women.
3. By inserting a broad “health” exception into our law, it opens up third-trimester abortions for any reason at all, and invites late-term abortionists into New York State to set up shop to abort viable, fully formed babies.
2. By repealing the requirement in current law that only a licensed physician may perform an abortion, it endangers women’s lives.
1. New York is already the abortion capital of the nation, with 33% of pregnancies (40% in NYC) ending in abortion, as opposed to 19% nationally.
Join in continuing the prayer presence at the only surgical abortion facility in the North Country, as we pray with those around the country, for an end to abortion. 40 Days for Life is a focused pro-life effort that consists of:
40 days of prayer and fasting 40 days of peaceful vigil 40 days of community outreach
Where? Planned Parenthood at 66 Brinkerhoff Street, Plattsburgh, New York What? One hour of prayerful, pro-life witness as you are able. When? September 25 - November 3
For Immediate Release: June 21, 2013
Abortion Expansion Defeated!
Following is a statement from the New York State Catholic Conference, which represents the Bishops of New York State in public policy matters:
The failure of a last-ditch hostile amendment to try to effect passage of the Abortion Expansion Act is a remarkable victory for unborn children, as well as vulnerable women and girls who so often face unrelenting societal and family pressure to abort. The result is, quite literally, the answer to prayer. More accurately, it is the answer to millions of prayers by men, women and children of every faith from every section of the state who believe in the inalienable right to life of the baby in the womb.